This past week I had a bit of an epiphany. It's kind of one of those "well, duh everyone knows that" sort of things, but it has changed how I've been looking at things recently. Not all things, but food in particular. I came across one of the many health blogs I read, and it hit me: while food is meant to be enjoyed (at least I definitely think so), but the majority of food we eat shouldn't be chemically distorted and factory made. What ever happened to real food? You know, like eggs that come from chickens that enjoy their space on a farm, meat from animals that haven't been drugged up and altered from a natural path that would cause them to normally grow, and bread made from grains and real ingredients. (Don't let this scare you away, I'm not dropping out of school to turn into a hard core, vegan animal rights activist.) I'm just saying, that I'm becoming more and more interested in eating wholesome, good for you food that comes from nature than ho-ho's with overly processed who-knows-what in it that does nothing good for my body.
This probably stems from an art piece I submitted to the Graphic Design program a few weeks ago. I had some raspberries I was eating, and I realized that I know exactly what is in it: it's a raspberry, duh. There's no guessing or wondering. Then I had some of my husband's yummy jalapeno chips I was munching on and turned over the label. There were a TON of ingredients on the back of that packaged baggie. Most of which had ingredients with 15 letters long that looked like it belonged in a science book: dksljfdlskjfdajklsdjf. What is that? What is that food doing to my body? Probably not extremely nourishing.
It really hit me that we eat food in order for our bodies to function (again, i know DUH). I want my body to function properly. I want my food to give me energy, keep me full, and give me the good stuff that I need. These ideas have been floating around in my head for the past few weeks. And as fun it is to post pictures of pretty clothes, this blog is also my journal. Right now I'm focused (as much as I can be with this being the end of the semester, working, and being a student and wifey) on trying to mostly eat things that will do a body good. Most of my life I've enjoyed being healthy and of course everyone knows that you should eat healthy, but I guess I just realized how important it is. I don't want to be healthy just so I can drop down a pant's size (although that would be nice...), I want to change my eating habits because it's important to my body- to my health. Now I'd be lying (and please don't think of me as an enormous hypocrite for contradicting all of the above for a bit) if I said that the thought of Cadbury mini eggs and hot Cheeto fries did not make my mouth water. They're my two secret unhealthy indulgences. I rarely eat those 2 things. I guess what I'm trying to say with all of this is that I want the majority of what I eat to change. I want my diet (and diet meaning what I eat, not a 2 week carb-free grapefruit juice trendy diet thing) to mostly consist of healthy, wholesome, REAL food. So maybe I'll share some yummy healthy recipes in the future, for the few of you lovelies that actually read this thing :) I'm just ready to be a happier, healthier, better me. Who isn't? And with that, I'll get to eat yummy things too and not feel one bit guilty about it
*I'm not a doctor or anything close to it. I'll be the first to say I don't know a lot, especially about this topic. Just my opinions, and me making a little change in my life
0 comments:
Post a Comment